Founded on the campus of Indiana University on January 5, 1911, it was determined at the outset that the Fraternity’s fundamental purpose would be “achievement”.
Kappa Alpha Psi Fraternity, Inc., a college fraternity with more than 100,000 members was founded on January 5, 1911 on the campus of Indiana University in Bloomington, Indiana. It is the crystallization of the dream of our revered Founders Elder Watson Diggs, John Milton Lee, Bryon K. Armstrong, Guy L. Grant, Ezra D. Alexander, Henry T. Asher, Marcus P. Blakemore, Paul W. Caine, Edward G. Irvin and George W. Edmonds. It is through the realization of this dream that has propelled Kappa Alpha Psi to the forefront of college greek-lettered organizations for the past 112 years.
Chartered and incorporated originally under the laws of the State of Indiana as Kappa Alpha Nu on May 15, 1911, the name was changed to Kappa Alpha Psi on a resolution offered and adopted at the Grand Chapter in December 1914. This change became effective April 15, 1915, on a proclamation by the then Grand Polemarch, Elder Watson Diggs. Thus, the name acquired a distinctive Greek letter symbol and Kappa Alpha Psi thereby became a Greek letter Fraternity in every sense of the designation.
To learn more about the history of Kappa Alpha Psi, please visit our International Headquarters website.